overcentering justified?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:14:27 EDT

<< At 10:13 PM -0700 8/21/03, David Love wrote:
>I have found it awkward to measure the center pin height as well. >>

Greetings,
   Given  that keybed and strings are not usually parallell with one another,
the measuring of flange pin and string height is only occasionally useful.  I
offer a simpler, dead accurate method:

  have a set of 6 or so treble hammers, bored at various lengths, hung at 90
degrees on hammer shanks.  With a clearly marked straight line down their
sides,  it is a simple matter to drop a small square on the string, pull the
mounted hammer up to contact, and tell exactly what the alignment is between
hammers and string.
   It is also worth mentioning that the Renner and other highly compressed
hammers will increase in size by the time they are voiced.  Usually, I mount
them dead square and allow the voicing to undercenter them by a small amount.
This seems to allow the greatest amount of usuable wear from them, and makes
them almost perfect after the first hammer filing,(which usually happens in a
year or so when the regulation needs to be redone on action rebuilds).
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">