beckets

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:19:12 EDT

In a message dated 22/08/03 9:23:30 AM, bases-loaded@juno.com writes:

<< For the record, though, I thought the issue at hand was NOT whether or
not the pitch drops dramatically after tapping sloppy coils (obviously it
will, in almost all cases) but whether or not this does indeed truly
translate into tuning stability for the customer who has lived with their
piano for many years and whose tuning stability history is as good as the
other pianos in my database. >>

Mark;
 Obviously the coil tightness plays some role in stability ...this does not
mean that sloppy coils relate 'directly' to tuning
instability.................. but do sloppy coils relate directly to tuning stability? Or are there no
good reasons to address the coil issue at all?
 If coil tightness/neatness makes no difference to tuning stability why do we
take so much time when stringing to make all the coils just-so and get the
pins at the same relative height with the coils the same relative distance from
the plate.???.............
  To follow the line of reasoning that sloppy coils have no effect on tuning
stability it would seem reasonable to me to extend that by saying it is not
needful to address neatness and tightness when restring...cause after all there
are no
'measurable customer benefits' from doing so............ :-) (I know-I know
<:)

 Of course neat, tight coils are not needful for stability in harpsichords or
clavichords, zithers, etc....... so perhaps they are not needful in
pianos.........I don't know the scientific answer here.....so in absence of evidence
that I am doing damage to my customers instruments I will continue tapping coils
on new and first service grands and let the chips fall where they may. As for
others doing something different than I...that's OK too as there is no
'correct and only way' in this business on most thingees!
Jim Bryant (FL)
p.s.
<<"I thought the issue at hand was NOT whether or
not the pitch drops dramatically after tapping sloppy coils (obviously it
will, in almost all cases">>
 Since the stability thingee has been addressed and we are into the 'why'
phase..... I suppose my question here would be 'why' loose coils are acceptable
at all and this without regard to the stability question. JB