What matters most ?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:32:46 EDT

Greetings,

Richard asks:
<< Whats is more important to the <<heaviness>> of the action, the inertia
of the hammer and top action, or that of the key. Or if there exists a
kind of border condition where one becomes more important then the other
and vice versa.... what is that condition ? >>
>Or if there exists a
>kind of border condition where one becomes more important then the other
>and vice versa.... what is that condition ?

Bill answers (in part):
The only reason to adjust key
inertia would be in meeting the requirements of top action inertia.
So from a design standpoint, I'd say that top action inertia is the
one to pay attention to. Key inertia is the tail on the dog which
wags when its's happy with the weight of the rest of the dog.

   Well, this isn't a simple subject for several reasons. The main one is
that the final judgement is to be made by pianists, so a fluid and subjective
slant is the foundation for all that follows.  The best we can hope for is
generalities that apply to most. Softer hammers will be felt as "heavier" than hard
ones, all other things being equal).
   There are limits to how much FW can be used before the action becomes
recalcitrant.  Excessive FW  presents inertial problems of its own, regardless of
the BW or top action inertia.  Accelerating 50 grams of weight is a chore when
attempting to play fast, so we can't just disregard key weight.
   Leverage can really change the perception of heaviness, but not for both
ppp and FFF playing.  A heavy FW might feel smooth and light when played
slowly, but its inertial resistance goes up with the square of velocity,(I think),
so that smooth,controllable action begins to fight back when you try to play it
fast and loud.
  Soooo,  the more influential component in the action might depend on the
dynamic level under consideration.  There is a golden mean in all of this, where
the relative weights and leverages are in an optimum relationship.  I don't
know exactly how to define it, but like porn, I know it when I see it.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT

(Ps,  Am I the only one that thinks the best feeling action has the
capstan/heel contact point exactly on the centerline twixt whippen flange pin and
balance rail pin when escapement begins???????  That is sort of a troll).