Big Bushings

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:10:36 -0500

>Roger Jolly explained the Yamaha method to me one time, and I'm sure he
>did it well, but I still don't quite understand exactly what they do that
>seems to result in the bushing being part of the pinblock and/or plate.

I don't remember reading that one, did I miss it? Where are you Roger?

>What about cutting plugs of Delignit, getting a real tight fit in the
>plate hole, maybe even a drop of epoxy on the base of the plug to bond to
>the block, and drilling the whole shabang in the piano in an effort to get
>a system that is more like an open-faced pinblock that your standard
>squishy/deformation-type tuning pin bushing?
>
>Or is this just one more inefficient overkill idea?
>
>Terry Farrell

I'd worry as much about the top of the plug as the bottom. The short fiber
top layer with no glue at it's perimeter to keep it in place would chip up
pretty badly by the time you drilled it and had a pin driven in, wouldn't
it - especially after being tenderized by driving in the plug in the first
place? I haven't tried it, so I don't really know, but I suspect...

Ron N