What matters most?

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:19:24 -0700

The question may seem absurd to the pianist who doesn't even know the names
of the parts, but it's certainly not absurd if the piano isn't performing
well.  As technicians, we need to be able to quantify cause and effect as
much as possible if we are to have any chance of producing a predictable
action, soundboard, or anything else for that matter.

With respect to this question, I think what we are likely to find, and have
found (thanks in large part to David Stanwood), is that a certain weight at
the hammer end works best with certain action ratios.  Moreover, with
respect to inertia, how that ratio is achieved will make a difference.  We
can, for example, achieve a 5.6 action ratio with a combination of 16 mm
knuckle mounting and .48 key ratio, say, or 17 mm knuckle mounting and .52
key ratio.  Which one should we choose, given that we have a choice.  The
answer, it seems, would lie in how heavy a hammer we wish to use.  A heavy
hammer, from my experience benefits from a long knuckle mounting and a
light hammer from a shorter mounting.  Though I can't quantify the inertial
relationships (at this time), it would seem that inertia (as well as
friction) would play a role.  The Overs piano that I saw in Reno, for
example, had quite a heavy hammer on it.  Thirteen grams or so in the bass,
if I recall correctly.  But it also had a knuckle mounting of 20 mm.  The
overall ratio (I believe, Ron can correct me on this) was about 5.7.  That
piano certainly did not suffer from any inertia problems (it also had
assist springs BTW).  That may not have been the case had the overall ratio
been achieved with a shorter knuckle mounting and a lower key ratio.  Heavy
hammers, contrary to other thoughts expressed, will not necessarily create
inertia problems given the overall ratio and, moreover, the ratios of the
component levers are a good match.

At least that's my take on it.  So in answer to the original question:
None of the above.  High inertia in the top action can feel just as bad as
high inertia at the key.  I'll wait for Birkett's research to try and
quantify that relationship further.  Fortunately, we don't usually have to
make that choice.    In general, I'd say that the hammer weight and knuckle
mounting position should move in the same direction.  Once that number can
be quantified, then all that's left is to establish the key ratio that
gives the desired overall ratio. That ratio (assuming no assist springs or
magnets) will have to consider both the resultant front weight of the key,
or key inertia, and regulation requirements.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net