Over 6' Tall Upright

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:33:30 -0400

Hi Bob,

I remember seeing a very tall piano (I think custom made by S&S, but I =
might be wrong about that) in the Madison/DuPont home. (It belonged to =
the DuPonts, not the Madisons. ;-)  It had a very large opening on its =
front side above the keyboard, paneled in gathered fabric, if memory =
serves.  There might be a picture of it on the web somewhere.

Peace,
Sarah
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bob Hull=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 9:53 PM
  Subject: Over 6' Tall Upright

  We were watching an old Judy Garland movie, Harvey Girls, I think was =
the title.  In the movie there was a beautiful, ornate upright that was =
taller than the man playing it - when he stood up.  It looked like it =
was maybe 6' 6".  It had a cupid type figure painted on the front panel. =
 I wonder if the strings were really that long  or if the case was just =
that tall.

  Has anyone else seen this piano or one like it?

  If the strings were that long, it would have to have had about 2 or 3 =
foot long stickers to have the hammers reach a strike point!

  Bob