What matters most ?

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:25:55 -0400

At 2:46 AM +0200 8/24/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>       Hi Bill
>         I agree and the only way I can think of to effectively
>overcome the problem and the key inertia is to lengthen the key to
>get better leverage. A case in point are the old stwy players with
>the long keys. No it's not a practical solution but in theory it
>would increase leverage, reduce the amount of counter balancing lead
>weight.
>      Dale
>

>I suppose one could try and reduce the depth of the key and
>accomplish a little bit in the same direction....The greater the
>vertical difference between the key top/capstan and the balance rail
>pin the more horizontal deflection of the forces involved. Longer
>keys do more or less the same by decreasing the angle beween the
>three points.... or what ?

Dale, what you're talking about is maximizing the vertical component
(vector) of the arc traveled by a lever point. Since the motion of
levers is rotational anyway, a longer key wouldn't change the
leverage or how it would reduce the top action weight. It would just
do it more efficiently, ie. requiring less motion at the key front.
By more efficiently, I mean insuring that the motion of the key could
have maximum vertical vector (lift of action parts) and minimal
horizontal vector (sliding friction). The other way to do this is to
make sure that the lever is as horizontal as possible, which
keysticks usually are. A very valuable observation of yours however.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater