Big Bushings/Ron Nossaman

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:37:53 -0700

Ron,
Your quote: "I never expected anything different from bushings. I'm not
looking for any
torque boost from them. Just a little flagpole support and keeping the pin
off of the plate has always been enough for me, so a bushed plate always
feels better to me than open holes. Not as nice as open face, naturally.

>Cross grain is far
>more stable and less prone to crushing, etc. It WILL give a markedly better
>tuning pin feel!
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

It's certainly worth a try.

Ron N"

If this is done right, you will have the same feel/effect as an "Open Face
Pin Block"! The criteria is that the plate bushings need to be drilled the
same diameter as the rest of the pinblock. Of course, Pin Driving Fluid is
essential, in this case, so that there is less trauma to the plate bushings,
when driving the tuning pins.
The only piano that this works on, (as far as I know), is the kimballs with
the larger web/tuning pin holes. I think that there has to be sufficient
room designed into the plate web, so that this will work. Also, if one were
to just bore out the web, to accomodate these bushings, (actually "plugs"),
it would weaken the web. (I don't think I want to be the first to try
that!)<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police