Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:39:16 -0700

If sluggishness were the only problem then it could be treated, but since
the problems come from changes in humidity, then treating sluggishness is
only as good a fix as the humidity is constant.  What I am trying to treat
is changes in friction that come with humidity swings.  Addressing the
action centers won't accomplish that.  The humidity needs to be regulated
in some manner.  Short of regulating the entire house, I am looking for an
alternative.  Convection problems could be treated by closing the lid of
the piano when not in use.  Speculating on the potential problems is easy,
but I'm wondering if there is any real data on methods of controlling the
humidity inside the action cavity and effects on the pinblock.  Certainly a
system of humidification of the soundboard area during a very low RH period
doesn't help the pinblock.  And my guess is that a low wattage heater bar
connected to a humidistat would not reduce the RH around the block to a
lower level than 42%.  So, why, then, would a controlled dehumidification
system hurt it?  Am I wrong in that a humidistat controlled action cavity
is likely to reach levels which are too low?  I would guess that the low
conductivity of wood would render a low wattage heater bar relatively safe
if located below the level of the flanges on the action bracket.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

and