Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:32:26 -0500

Go low wattage. 8 to 15 watts. I've seen a lot of them mounted on the stack
here in Panama. In the long run, a heater mounted under the pin block will
loosen the pins, but without it, the piano is unplayable because of seizing
action centers. Which is worse? No one wants to pay for repinning, OR new
pins, so it's a catch 22. I've seen a lot of 25 watt rods installed, but
that's too high. 15 is even a little too hot, but it will do a good job.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 1:01 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

What's is the general recommendation for putting a DC on or near the action
brackets on a grand.  This particular piano has recurring problems with
seizing jacks and sluggish hammer flanges due to high humidity.  I don't
generally prefer putting a heater bar under the pinblock, but I'm tempted
in this situation to mount it on or near the action brackets so that it
might radiate a bit of heat toward the jacks and hammer flanges.  Any
experiences out there.  How low can I go and still get some benefit without
down side potential: 15W, 25W???  The piano will be fitted with a regular
DC system (dehumidification only).  Appreciate any comments.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net