Dampp Chaser and Grand Action...my last...period :-)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:48:50 EDT

In a message dated 26/08/03 8:06:25 PM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

<< I don't know what's so complicated about this.  If you treat the centers
when the humidity is high, then when the humidity drops they will be too
loose, if you treat the centers when the humidity is low, then when the
humidity is high they will be too tight.  If you address the centers when
the humidity is medium, then when the humidity is high they will be tight
and when it is low, they will be too loose.>>
I am not the one making it complicated you asked a question and I gave an
unequivical answer/opinion......you don't/didn't like the answer...what's
complicated about that? :-)

 With the humidity swings here in Jax I think I have run into the same
problem as you seem to be describing and there is such a thing as a happy medium in
action pinning as there is in regulation, tuning, etc.
 Perfection in humidity control does not exist either here or in Tajas. I
find it hard to believe that action centers react differently there than they do
here...could be wrong ..wouldn't be the first time....but I don't think so.
If the piano in question is so critical to humididty swings then there....
is.... something.... wrong..... with the centers/birdseyes/pinning, etc. and it
ain't just the humidity.  But that is just a SWAG on my part.

BTW what kind of piano thingee are we talking about??

<<This is know as the Goldilocks
theory in physics.>>

 Oh yeah that one! Doesn't it come right after 'Pie in the sky expectations'??

<<  IMO it would be better to treat the humidity so that
anything done to the centers will not be subjected to further swings in
humidity.  The question being posed, is whether or not that can be done in
such a manner as to not harm the block. >>

 In a perfect world this would be right but we don't live there.  'A'
solution(there are others) is to treat the action centers with alcohol/water and then
seal them with a very light silicone/naptha solution. Works in Jax and we
don't have the too tight/just right/too loose "Goldilocks" syndrome to the best
of my knowledge and experience.....and it leaves the block untouched.........
My final thoughts.
 Jim Bryant (FL)