Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:50:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: <JIMRPT@aol.com>; <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 26, 2003 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

> ...The question being posed, is whether or not that can be done in
> such a manner as to not harm the block.
>
> David Love

Yes, this is the question. As I said earlier, my experience has been with
older 3- and 5-ply blocks. These blocks were (are?) made with animal hide
glue. I can't imagine a Delignit block being damaged by a puny little
8-watt Dampp-Chaser under it. For that, I can't imagine a Delignit block
being damaged by a 50-watt Dampp-Chaser epoxied to it! But, I could be
wrong--so, best to test. Take a chunk of various types of pinblock stock,
drill and pin them, and put the Dampp-Chaser under them and let the thing
sit for a year or two. Do your best to simulate the interior of a piano.
Test the pin torque every month and report back.

Del