Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:48:47 -0700

I'm in San Francisco.  I've been tuning for this person for awhile.  He had
a Kawai before and recently bought a S&S.  He is a good player with high
expectations for the instrument (who wouldn't have after $60,000).   I
measure the humidity whenever I tune and he also has a hygrometer in the
room.  The range has been from 30% to 80%.  The house has radiator heating
which can be very drying.  San Francisco, otherwise, is a very humid
environment, though cool.  He ran a dehumidifier in the room for awhile but
it was not terribly effective in an open environment, it was noisy, and it
burns a lot of energy.   The house does not have central air into which a
dehumidification sytem might be installed (though expensive).  A DC system
will be the best alternative.   I was pleased to read Ruth Phillips' post
which echoed my concerns about stability for the sake of consitent action
performance and gave me some ideas as to the best way to approach the
problem.  My general plan is to start with a standard two bar system under
the soundboard and a 15 watt under the keybed.  I have taken some sample
readings on flanges and will compare after 6 weeks.  If not effective I
will increase to 25 watts under the keybed.  If that still proves
ineffective, I will add replace the keybed bar with 15 watts and add an 8
watt bar inside the action cavity with a separate humidistat.  All this
with accompanying covers.  Once I feel the action has achieved some type of
equilibrium, I will address the uneveness in the flange pinning by reaming
and repinning.  Will probably do this in conjunction with addressing action
leverage problems.  Unfortunately, I believe that this is another plate
indexing problem in which the capstan is located too far back and the ratio
is just too high producing a very heavy feeling action.   Though I have not
surveyed the action thoroughly, my sample readings and experience suggest
that this is the problem.  For the moment, the dealer techs are still
looking at it trying to convince him that the piano falls within "normal"
guidelines.  So far, he is unconvinced.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

to follow. You indicate that you have monitored the indoor environment for
a year - what data do you have available - what have the humidity swings
been? What area of the country are you in? Is the new home air conditioned?
What kind of heat? Does the home have a humidifier? Might it have whole
house humidity control (not bloody likely, I suppose).

> Have you been able to document touchweight during dry conditions, and
then touchweight during high humidity conditions?

> Thanks.
>
> Terry Farrell

Eaton.(Well