shellac under varnish

Gerald Posey poseyviolins@charter.net
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:29:41 -0500

> Why is it that many varnish manufacturers advise not to use their products
> over shellac.  It is my understanding that shellac was traditionally used
> as primer coat for varnishes?

Shellac has wax in it that interferes with the adhesion of varnish.  You can
get or make dewaxed shellac that is better for this.  Although making it
takes a lot of shellac and a lot of time.  You just let the wax settle and
siphon off the clear shellac.  Dewaxed ruby shellac is very beautiful.
Gerald