Labor, not a sale (WAS job invoices?)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:57:08 -0700

At 09:58 PM 8/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>. The corolary: you are never too small to get whacked by a state
>government that cant figure out how it's going broke, that has no property
>tax or income tax to speak of, cant come by it's money honestly, upfront,
>but has to force the small business people to do its dirty work for it,
>and penalizes the poor folks who pay an incredible percentage of income in
>sales tax on food, medicine, school supplies, clothes, piano work while
>the oil company executives avoid it all by having major items purchased
>out of state and shipped in. Sorry for the rant, but it is very fresh in
>my mind.....
>--
>----Dave

That truly sucks.

Oregon chose the other approach: high income tax, pretty high property tax,
no sales tax or value-added tax of any kind -- except there's a 10%
occupancy tax for motels. Our state is broke as well, but at least as a
tuner I don't have to pour sweat into the paperwork.

However, our approach means that all those tourists driving monster RVs
essentially get a free ride through our state. A little bit of gas tax is
all that the state gets from them.

My condolences, Dave.

Susan