Mother in Law of All Cutoff Bars

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:11:07 -0700

>Thanks for the pictures.
>
>What were these builders trying to do? Were they each single handedly
>trying to use up all of the iron in the whole of the Mesabi Range?

Maybe they owned stock in a mining company.

>Have you any idea what that plate might weigh?

No.  Fortunately I wasn't around when they took it out (although I
would have liked to see it after the fact).

>  I've been giving some
>thought of late to the amount of iron in even the typical piano plate
>(leave off something like this). Much of it is a total waste having no
>structural or acoustical function whatsoever....
>
>Del

One of the interesting things about this plate is that in spite of
all the metal they put at the tuning pin end, it's fairly light at
the hitch pin end.  The struts are heavy, but the plate web in
between looks like it might be fairly flexible.  For the strings at
the midspan between the struts, I would think that there might be a
fair bit of deflection at the hitch pin end as they are pulled up to
pitch.
I haven't really thought about it before, but I wonder if this could
be a way to attempt to build in some tuning stability.  The humidity
increases, the soundboard moves up, the string tension increases, but
because the plate or string connection to the plate is fairly
flexible, the tension won't increase as much as for a rigid plate or
connection.  I don't know how flexible things would have to be to
make this work (if it would) or how that would affect the tone.
Also, if you were counting on plate flexibility for this effect, you
wouldn't get any at the plate struts.
Too bad we don't know more about what these guys were thinking.

Phil Ford