Compression Question

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:31:07 -0400

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> According to the comparison trials we conducted at Baldwin, about three or
> four sprayed coats. With the exception of epoxy--a lot of epoxy--all
> conventional finishes responded about the same as a vapor barrier.
>
> Del

According to my comparisons in the shop four coats of sprayed lacquer
doesn't even come close to the film thickness of one coat of varnish. I
am looking for 4 to 5 mills on each side of the board to achieve a
reasonable vapor barrier. Four coats of brushed varnish or four coats of
sprayed catalyzed varnish gets me there. I have used lacquer in the past
but could only achieve about 1 mill in a reasonable amount of time. I
estimate it would take about 20 or more coats of spray lacquer to get
enough finish on the board. Of course I don't have the sophisticated
equipment nor the developed technique of the fine craftsmen at Baldwin.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979