False Beats: A whole new approach!

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:22:48 -0500

David's post on the amazingly stable Kawai grand triggered this
post--specifically that it had high treble false beats in an acustically
live room.

I recently tuned a 60's era spinet that was way out of wack. The
customer wanted to know if it was a "keeper" or whether she should start
saving for a new piano. Ignoring the obvious and prejudicial answer, I
said that we'd have to see how it sounds after repairs and tuning.

After bridge repairs, two new strings, a 120+ cent pitch raise and two
tuning passes, it sounded amazingly not-so-bad. I told her so and she
agreed. As the discussion was rather in depth and she wanted me to be
frank--Frank Who? one might ask--I did point out that there were false
beats in the upper treble. She asked me to demonstrate, and I did.

This was her reaction: "Well, that's just a bonus: extra vibrato."

So you see, we should have been promoting the positive side of this
phenomenon all along!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---