Tuning in a mall/was False Beats: A whole new approach!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:09:27 EDT

Speaking of false beats, I had yet another interesting tuning job today.
They come in droves, don't they?

One of the stores I contract for loaned a new Seiler 180 grand--the one with
the titanium case and the plexiglass lid, not to mention full on midi/electro
capablities--to a pianist for a gig in a local mall.  After being forced to
park nearly half a mile away, I lugged my tools around until I found an open
door at 8 AM.  Fortunately, the Nordstrom and Macy's customers would not begin
arriving until nearly 10 AM, so I figured I'd have a chance to crank this one
out quickly.

Tuning in a mall would be like tuning in a cave if it weren't for the music
piped in at about 90 decibels(my favorite was the cover of Lionel Ritchie's
"All Night Long":-).  For the 20/40 cent pitch raze, I didn't even bother using
my ears much.  I did, however, say many silent thank yous to Robert Scott for
inventing TuneLab.

Finished the pitch raise, and still couldn't find a security guard to help me
turn off the blasted music.  I fine tune aurally most of  the time, but once
again, I was glad to have Tunelab on hand.  It was impossible to hear some
notes correctly.

A couple of guards finally walked by, and within seconds, they contacted the
office and the music was off in my quadrant of the mall.  Whew.  While tuning,
I got the occasional glance from Starbuck's patrons, and a few passers-by
asked "how much is this baby?"  They moved on rather quickly when I quoted them
the 125k list price, roughly twice what the beemer down the row was going for.

Tuning in a mall is weird.  You hit a note, and it echos back to you a
fraction of a second later, so it really sounds like a beat.  Happily, the piano
only had false beats near the treble plate struts.  Otherwise, I'd probably still
be there trying to tune out that nice little "extra vibrato".  When I finally
finished, it was kind of fun to sit there and crank out "There will Never Be
Another You" on a really nice piano in a massive man-made cavern.

In talking with the artist, Mr. Scott Davis, I found out that he does this
every weekend and he sells many CDs that way.

New Age piano players in a mall...only in America!

Dave Stahl

Promote Harmony in the Universe--Tune Your Piano!