Tuning pin bushings

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:46:46 -0500

Very interesting. In the shop today as an experiment, I made a bushing =
from a 1/2" dowel to see how it would fit. Even with the edge beveled, =
it was too big. On a couple of attempts, the edge of the plate hole =
sheared off some of the bushing. Of this company's two largest sizes, 12 =
and 13 mm, it would appear that 13mm would be too big for the Kimball =
plate, since 1/2" is 12.7mm. Schaff's largest bushing is 7/16" which =
would be just a hair over 11mm. So it seems to me that 12mm would be the =
best fit for the Kimball.

Before I try to get bushings from Australia, would anyone disagree with =
my conclusion?

Dave Bunch
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 6:31 PM
  Subject: Tuning pin bushings

  I was just looking at the parts at Parke Piano Strings & Materials, =
and they have 13mm tuning pin bushings ready made.  There was quite a =
discussion on how to make these from pinblock material and it sounded =
long and tedious.  Of course this company is in Australia but I'm sure =
they'd be willing to ship them for a price.  Check it out at:
  http://www.parkepianostrings.com.au/prd.php?cat=3D6

  dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu