Titebond extend gluing times.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 07:42:18 -0400

Comments interspersed below:
 =20
> >       It is also reversible for the next guy who has to get the =
board out=20
> > of the piano or Maybe you. Can you imagine having to clean a rim =
joint=20
> > that was coated with tight bond, bulduc or some other kind of glue?=20
SNIP
> >        Dale Erwin
>=20
> I wonder how necessary the consideration of reversibility is in =
soundboard=20
> work.=20
SNIP

Of course, keep in mind the only joints that might arguably need to be =
reversible is the bridge-to-panel joint and the soundboard-to-rim joint. =
Any reversibility issues regarding laminating ribs or the rib-to-panel =
joints just don't apply.

>  Maybe we should be considering knocking the ribs off of these old=20
> boards, planing the finish off, and using them as stock to laminate up =
the=20
> rib sets for the new panels. After all, that old panel was the "soul =
of the=20
> instrument". Why not put it to good use in it's next incarnation?
>=20
> Ron N

I haven't tried this on a soundboard that was destined for a piano, but =
I have made up several test pieces this way (six-inch wide panel with =
two laminated ribs kind of thing). It is of course more labor intensive =
- easier to just fell a tree and cut from a nice big piece (but then =
some of us prefer to ride a bicycle rather than drive a Lincoln =
Navigator). And you run into some drawbacks such as limited lengths and =
holes in the panel spruce (for bridge screws, nose bolts, etc.). =
However, one thing I want to do in the future is to make up some test =
laminated ribs that have interior laminates made up from shorter pieces =
- the pieces will have a shallow scarf or two somewhere along their =
length. I've done some of this type of construction with some of my jigs =
and test boards and never noticed any difference in performance, but I =
need to do some very careful loading and deflection observations of ribs =
over some length of time. My suspicion is that it will work just fine =
with no observable loss of strength.

IMHO, the extra effort involved would be a reasonable sacrifice to offer =
up to the Sitka goddess for all that she has provided mankind.

Terry Farrell

Terry Farrell