Broken Agraffe Results

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:00:19 -0500

Hi,
On my website listed below I have pics on a "M" agraffe repair I did.  I =
think the secret is penetrating oil first and leaving it soak well =
before you begin.
Jim
James Grebe ,=20
 Piano Tuner-Technician, Wood Artisan    =20
new website WWW.JamesGrebe.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 6:00 PM
  Subject: Broken Agraffe Results

  I had posted a couple weeks ago about an upcoming agraffe repair I had =
scheduled - it was to be a first time thing.

  All went well. I went armed with fancy filed screwdriver, punch =
thingee, and left handed drill bits. Started by tapping with center =
punch type tool (only it was not hardened steel and had a very pointed =
tip) on an angle to try and turn it. That didn't seem to work, so I =
thought I would have to drill. So I tried to make a depression in the =
middle of the stem top, and the only thing I did with that was break the =
steel tip off right into the top center of the brass agraffe stem. So I =
pounded a bit with various tools to try and get that out - to no avail. =
I thought this was troublesome because how was I going to drill into the =
center of the stem if I had a steel chunk in there? So just for the =
yahoo of it I tried one last time to see if I could get in turning by =
tapping at the stem top on an angle. I guess all the pounding I did =
loosened it finally and it started turning - it came out nice and easy. =
Got the new one in nice and snug, all lined up, and at correct height =
(or at lea!
  st the height most were at - they were really all over the place).

  Thanks all for the ideas and tips that were provided. The guy even =
made a comment that he thought the piano would have to go to a repair =
shop to fix it and that it would be a huge job. He said "I'm glad I =
called a professional". I guess that guy couldn't come, but I'm glad he =
called me also! And I'm glad I have this resource and the help of you =
folks to make me look good (professionally speaking).

  THANKS!

  Terry Farrell
   =20