hammer rail sandpaper query

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:03:21 EST

In a message dated 2/13/03 7:26:40 AM Central Standard Time, Tvak@aol.com
writes:

> I need to replace the sandpaper on a hammer rail.  The hammers won't stop
> drifting side to side, and the screw holes are not stripped.  There's just
> nothing for them to grip to.  (The piano is a 1907 6'10" Kimball grand.)
>
> What grit?  What glue?  Removal of old paper? (not sure if there was any
> there to begin with)  Will this cause any regulation problems I should be
> aware of? (Not that the piano has any semblence of proper regulation as it
> is...)
>
> Any caveats or advice appreciated, as I have never done this before.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom S

Tom

The best sandpaper to use is wet and dry, about 80 grit. The glue will adhere
to the back side, but will not penetrate to the grit side. 3M makes 1" rolls
of this materials, available at paint and hardware stores. I use a spray
adhesive, (again, 3M is probably the best), to attach it to the rail.  Clean
the rail thoroughly with a chisel, making sure the old paper is completely
gone.

BTW, I use that 1" sandpaper also for a hammer shaping paddle. I glue it on a
paint stirrer.

Wim