Open-Face Pinblock & Stringing

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:43:23 -0500

In a message dated 1/1/2003 9:38:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> How does one string a piano with an open-faced pinblock WITHOUT marking the pretty veneer cover with stringing tools? The simple coil lifter for example - is in not designed to be levered on the plate/pinblock so that when you push down on the handle the little fork on the other end pushes up on the coil bottom? Have I been using this tool incorrectly? Tips?
> Advice?
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry

I don't know if you are using your tool correctly, because I don't use the standard coil lifter. But one suggestion would be to put a small piece of leather between the coil lifter and the pin block. It will take a little longer to string the piano, but it will save the veneer.

As I said, I don't use a coil lifter. What I have been using is a bent grand hammer flange tool. It is a flat tool, but I make two bends in it, so that it looks like a flattened out S. (or like a pelican spring). I put it under the coil and lift up as I am tightening the coil.

Wim