Open-Face Pinblock & Stringing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 09:51:12 -0600

>How does one string a piano with an open-faced pinblock WITHOUT marking
>the pretty veneer cover with stringing tools? The simple coil lifter for
>example - is in not designed to be levered on the plate/pinblock so that
>when you push down on the handle the little fork on the other end pushes
>up on the coil bottom? Have I been using this tool incorrectly? Tips? Advice?
>
>Terry Farrell

I put the coil lifter under the string, the lever on the string, and my
thumb on top of the lever head. Lower string tension (if necessary) just
enough to be able to lift the coil (pushing down with the thumb and lifting
with the fingers), and crank the tension up. About four turns of masking
tape keeps me from chewing up my thumb, and if I drilled the pinblock at a
reasonably correct angle, I usually only have to do it once. Another pass
after everything is chipped to pitch the first time, driving pins to final
height and lifting the occasional loose coil. I still occasionally
accidentally mar a plate trying to get the lifter in or out, but I don't
pry against it with the coil lifter. Well, maybe sometimes in the extreme
bass, with a piece of leather between.

Ron N