Sostenuto

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:14:53 -0600

Ed:

I can't see where adjusting the dampers on the NY Steinway system is
any easier.  If the sostenuto bar is in the way on other pianos, you
simply take 60 seconds to remove it, adjust the dampers, and return
it.  You can tell if the sostenuto is working correctly without
replacing the action 147 times!

I'm sure there must be *some* advantage to this system or even
Steinway wouldn't keep doing it that way, but it has become an
aggravation to me.  I can adjust them.  I have made myself a
sostenuto bar height gauge and have a long screwdriver that will
reach the brackets from above.  I just can't help thinking as I'm
doing it that it is unnecessarily awkward.  It's a character flaw
thing!  :-)

dave