Rebuild: Estimates, Contracts etc.

Noel Kaufmann tunernoel@bigzoo.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 04:59:52 -0500

Hi List,

I know a ton has been written/offered on this subject, as I've seen here =
and there probably on this list as well as at conventions and classes.  =
But I'm new to full rebuilding jobs, and hence to the logistical =
technicalities, and would appreciate some quick pointers to info or =
samplers of advice (and maybe written forms!?) to use as guides for this =
process until I develop my own procedures.

My situation is that I've been referred by a happy in-home-work customer =
to another customer who's wanted to have his Steinway B circa 1895 =
rebuilt.  The happy fellow mentioned a rough price to this second =
fellow, and of course now I feel I must try to come up with a detailed =
breakdown of costs totalling somewhere remotely close, when I actually =
see and evaluate the piano myself.  I probably have a few weeks to mull =
this over, as this person is travelling and I haven't even spoken to him =
yet.=20

I do have Joe Garrett's labor guide and can start from there, and thus =
have an idea of keeping it somewhere in the ballpark of the mentioned =
sum, which seemed fair for the likely work -- (a somewhat technically =
savvy eye had seen it before) --  pinblock, soundboard repair, strings, =
hammers, etc. -- and even if a little more is required to do the proper =
job, I can be flexible with my hourly rate and still be happy to do the =
work.  I realize too that I may end up pleasantly or unpleasantly =
surprised when I look the thing over.      =20

So my main questions: Where can I find some good estimate and contract =
samples to look at?  What should I be aware or wary of with a ca. 1895 =
or 1900 Steinway B?  I'm not all that conversant in Steinway yet, esp. =
old ones.  I'm sure I'll have more questions to post, but at the moment =
it's a very odd hour of the morning and my mind is a little fried.  =
Thanks for any responses....

Noel Kaufmann
Takoma Park MD      =20