Excel beeps

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 06:25:00 -0800

Thanks for the response, Bill Ballard. "I'm sure you don't have the Mac
OS"?? Please don't be so sure about such things, it raises hackles. <g> I
have had the Mac OS since February 1984, and currently have four functionin=
Macs running systems 8.6, 9.2 and OS X, and four functioning PCs running
Wingows 98, 2000, and XP. I always try for cross-platform functionality.

Now that my hackles are back down, I agree the database approach is not ver=
efficient. But I have had a couple of good responses, one from our Mr
Nossaman, and one from an Excel MVP on the Excel Programming newsgroup, so
pretty soon I will have a nice little Excel sheet that produces a beat rate
of your choice.

It's partly for the purpose of learning tuning ... more efficient than
making a 1-second pendulum and saying "from mississippi to New York", which
is how I learned in 1970 ... and partly for experimenting with alternate
temperaments, such as some of the modified meantones that have recently com=
our way, that call for setting beat rates such as 4.5 per second ... more
efficient than setting a metronome.

And yes, I am preparing for the RPT tuning exam in about 6 weeks and will
attempt the Sanderson-Baldassin temperament, and as I practice, this will b=
very useful to me. But I'm building it so that it will in turn be useful to
others. Right now I have two early prototypes that don't work reliably
cross-platform. Stay tuned, I will publish it when the time comes.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799