A Bold Move

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 22:00:20 -0500

I have finished tuning the pianos (this break) at the Cape Cod Conservatory
in different temperaments.
The differences are not as appalling as one might assume.

Between the two facilities, each has 3 in ET,  2 in Moore,
2 in Wendell Mild Synchronous Well. (including a D for recital - wow, clarity),
2 in Broadwood Best, 1 in Werkmeister (I like), 1 in Young.

I have 2 left to tune, 1098's (cringe), I'll do them either in Moore or an
RW WT, possibly Young/2

So far, of the three teachers who have tried them, Broadwood's Best is
preferred, although
they did not have a chance to sample the Wendell.

If one temperament is in disapproval, I'll replace it with another. A tonal
buffet.

Aiding in the presentation are the charts from Jason Kanter and commentary
by Ed Foote
along with copies of his two CD's in their library. Is this networking or
what...  thanks guys.

Ed's description of temperament structure will open a new avenue to the
musicians.
To paraphrase one teacher, "All the years at Julliard, and I never head of
this stuff".

What prompted me to approach the director with this plan was the success of
this past
summer's music festivals.  All were requested to be tuned in the Moore WT
after their
directors compared pianos in ET and WT.

Only once did a musician prefer ET, they play 20th Century music and did
not like
the smoothness in the beginning of the cycle of fifths; primarily the C-E.
They wanted
that tension. No problem.

This is gunna be a great year !

Regards,