Big Action Rail Pins

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:55:36 -0500

At 10:19 PM -0500 1/4/03, Farrell wrote:
>I most often just replace rail pins rather than polish when a few
>are nicked or whatever. These are not in bad shape. Perhaps a
>thorough polishing is in order! Thanks for the input.

Terry, how is the keyboard. Has the grain of the mortices been pulled
apart by one too many rebushings? If this keyboard is due for new
balance holes and rebushing, why not just change buttons and inlay
new  front mortises, bushed. If there were other reasons to be this
thorough, the ability to start over again with standard key pin
sizes. At least you didn't get oval balance pins.

Of course that's a major investment in the action of such a piano,
whose rebuilding right now seems based on faith in its as a good
candidate for rebuilding. The Knabe you're doing for these folks is a
real adventure. I'm sure we'll hear more.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."
     ...........Ancient Chinese Proverb