Restored Baldwin out the door

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 05:17:18 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2003 7:35:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Re: Restored Baldwin out the door
>  Date: 1/4/2003 7:35:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> When you do a board this way, how do you set your downbearing? Thanks.
>
> Terry Farrell

           Terry
           Without being terribly specific I use a pre -stressed method of
setting bearing with a graduated downbearing pressures protocol. (Increasing
angle of deflection ) It's described well by John Hartman in the August 1995
"The effects of Downbearing on tone" I've come to check/confirm uniformity
after it's strung  by using a Lowell buble gauge.  I like to see 6 lines
(.018) of movement (residual bearing) thru the bulk of the piano with less at
the tenor bridge end and a bit more in the very top treble. I string the
tenor/treble chip up to pitch before I recheck/reset my bearing felts and
shims in the bass to get appox. 1/2 degree bearing at the crossover down to
zero in the bottom of the mono chords.
    This is especially sensitive and critical to me when setting bearing on
the dreaded cantilever bass bridges so I wait till I can see a very clear
picture as how the board squashes down under the plain wire load. This way I
can call it right on.
   Regards--Dale Erwin