Touchweight Key Ratio Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 19:46:13 -0500

At 6:40 PM -0500 1/5/03, Farrell wrote:
>I suspect I should be centering the weight on a perpendicular from
>the key directly below the capstan contact point. Is this correct?
>In this case, the weight center will have to move toward the key
>rear from where the capstan screws into the key. Thanks.

You're measuring the ratio of two lever arms, right? There's no
question about where the end of the front arm is (or by convention,
there shouldn't be). Your question is about the end of the ear lever
arm. Why would it be anywhere but right up by the top of the capstan.
After all it's not the point where to capstan enters the key stick
that does the lifting, nor a point on the key stick directly below
the top of the capstan. I'd narrow the coil slightly in the top turn
so that the coil hangs on the the capstan's head.

It's similar to RicB's question about where the driven lever arm of
the hammershank should be located: down the shank's center line,
elevated to such a degree as to pass through the hammer heard's
center of gravity, or at the hammer's strike point. The payload is
the hammer's strike point, that's where linear measurements should be
taken.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Piano Trivia: How much does Steinway's 19th brass capstan screw add
to the balance  weight? 4.2g