Rant was Re: Kimball Whitney

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:51:30 EST

In a message dated 1/6/03 3:31:20 PM Central Standard Time, avery@ev1.net
writes:

> I have to disagree here. There's one H*** of a lot of difference between a
> Whitney and a Steinway L!!!!
>
> >By the same token, if someone wants to buy a Steinway L for only $2,000,
> >because that is all they can afford, is it a good buy, and are they
> >getting a bargain? (assuming the reason it is only $2000 is because
> >everything is shot, and the piano needs $20,000 worth of work). Of course
> >not. They would be better off buying a good used console.
>
> Not even! That L is worth all the work needed. The Whitney isn't! End of MY
>
> rant! :-)

I agree the Steinway is a much better instrument, and it will be worth it to
rebuild.  But if someone had only $2000 to spend on a playable instrument,
would you recommend that they buy a Steinway L for $2000 that is unplayable,
or a $2000 console that does play? Remember, they don't have ANY more money
to spend on a piano.

By the same token,  would you recommend they spend $500 on a Baldwin Studio
that is unplayable, or $500 on a Whitney that does play. Again, remembering
that they don't have ANY more money to spend on a piano.

Wim