Rant was Re: Kimball Whitney

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:37:34 -0600

>I agree the Steinway is a much better instrument, and it will be
>worth it to rebuild.  But if someone had only $2000 to spend on a
>playable instrument, would you recommend that they buy a Steinway L
>for $2000 that is unplayable, or a $2000 console that does play?
>Remember, they don't have ANY more money to spend on a piano.
>Wim

I know you are trying to make a reasonable point, Wim, but this
example just doesn't work as a premise for that point.

Because ... they could buy the L and sell it to a rebuilder, who
would pay considerably more to have it, then take the profit, buy
that $2000 console and have *plenty of money* left over to spend
anyway they like.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731