tuning the treble aurally

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 06:50:24 -0600

>What does resolution of particular piano mean ?
>I must have missed it if it was posted before.
>
>Carl / Winnipeg

It wasn't posted to the list. What I told Steve was to keep moving. Do more
tuning than listening and you'll speed up quicker than you thought
possible. Your tunings will improve too, believe it or not. It's easy to
get caught up in listening past the resolution of the piano you're working
on. Also again, think minimum garbage rather than perfection, and tuning
will be easier on you. And again, they will improve.

Essentially, don't waste time on what can't be done. Spend it on what can
be done well. We learn which is which by eventually trying both, but
beginning tuners find it difficult to let go of the details long enough to
try that quick and dirty tuning pass for comparison against their very best
effort. On a low end piano, there's not much difference in result between
the two.

Ron N