Crack Problem ... And It's YOUR Piano

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:00:18 EST

In a message dated 1/10/03 1:43:48 AM !!!First Boot!!!, tune4u@earthlink.net
writes:

> Well, it's sorta your piano, it belongs to the US Army so you are,
> indirectly, paying me to fix it ...
>
> Older B. Hamilton studio. 3 long diagonal cracks that traverse the
> soundboard from edge to edge. 2 of the cracks are on either side of the
> bass bridge apron so it's as though only maybe 7 percent of the soundboard
> is directly connected to the bridge, except through the ribs.
>
> Bass SOUNDS okay but I'm concerned about the structural integrity of
> bridge/soundboard/ribs in that area.
>
> They will pay to repair the bridge (eyelash cracks) but I doubt they'd want
> to do the whole soundboard-shim thing.
>
> Anyone with more experience, appreciate your comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan Barnard

The cracks themselves are not the problem. The problem is where the
soundboard is loose from the ribs and/or the bridge. Since I won't pay for
the soundboard to be replaced on a Hamilton, I suggest you drive screws
through the ribs and bridge to attach then to the soundboard. If that doesn't
work, I want to have my piano used for target practice on the range.

Wim