warped keys

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:46:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 10, 2003 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: warped keys

> Time, heat and pressure can even put a nice bend in a mountain. =
Regarding the rims though, the thickness of the lamination is also =
important. The thicker a piece of wood is (like a key), the longer heat =
and pressure will be required to bend it.

Some very early (forte) piano rims were heat bent out of solid stock. A =
few have been made from stacked, sawn stock. From the mid- to late-1800s =
most all piano rims have been made from bent, laminated veneers of =
varying species and thicknesses.

Heat bending solid stock (with or without steam) into a piano rim is =
problematic at best. The inconsistencies of the process pretty much =
insure hand fitting everything on through the process. Bent laminates =
are quite consistent -- assuming you maintain control over the process.

>=20
> You could do the key in a steam box. That is how you go about bending =
2" by 2" (and larger) white oak to make a bent rib for a boat hull. Some =
woods steam better than others. If you steamed the whole key though, I =
guess you'd have to plan on rebushing and a new key cover. But yes, it =
would most certainly work. Don't recommend it though.
>=20

Not to mention the fact that all piano keysets are made of glued up =
blanks. The glue joints holding the individual boards together are going =
to want to come apart as well. What you're going to end up with are lots =
of bits and pieces to glue back together. Ain't we got fun!

Del