Regulation bench bedding

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:42:17 EST

In a message dated 10/01/03 11:16:01 PM, kpiano@goldrush.com writes:

<< I know you can't set dip out of the piano and realized I should have
measured the dip >>

Keith;
 You can set dip out of the piano 'and' get it very close...there are some
factors that you must take care of first though.
1. The keyframe must be bedded [key height determined(?)] before taking the
thingee to the bench.
2. The bench must be fairly level in all aspects, not perfect but close.
3. With shims you can recreate the frame bedding on the bench...shims can be
almost anything from newspaper to veneer pieces.
4. Have a system where the front rail can be fastened down firmly but not too
tight.
5. Index the frame and benchtop so that the frame can be put back in the same
spot each time.

 Once these conditions are met you may continue your regulation in 'all'
aspects of the job. I find it helpful to set dip 'slightly' deep and plan on
fine dipping when the frame is back where it belongs, often it is not needful
though. A thorough and complete regulation may be done in this manner as all
factors are relative in or out of the piano.
 Fine or touch up regulation will be needful once the thingee is where it
belongs due to differences in string height, etc. Overall a very good job may
be accomplished 'on the bench' if you follow the bedding thingee.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)