Baldwin Wippen

PetersRPT@aol.com PetersRPT@aol.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:28:24 EST

Terry:
We see alot of Baldwins here in Cincinnati, as you might guess.  Depending on
the age, your options may be limited.  If you have one of the older ones with
the steel action rails, send samples to Wally Brooks and have him match them
up with Tokiwa parts.  That's what I did on the last set, and it worked out
great.  This is the least painful way to go, trust me.  Neither the current
Baldwin parts nor the Renner parts fit.   Previously, I just opted on
rebuilding the old ones.  If yours is newer, with wood rails, then you don't
have such problems, and you might be able to use current Baldwin parts.

For what it's worth, I have the oldest Baldwin grand I have seen in the shop
right now.  It is 6'3", and was probably made in 1897 or so.  What tipped me
off at first was that the plate has a sort of floral pattern rather than the
familiar holes.   The shift lever is made of wood.  The trapwork is the sort
that has long pieces of wood with thinned areas to act as a spring.   23 bass
notes, 8 single and 15 bichords.   It's interesting.

Roy Peters
Cincinnati