My mistake.....my lesson....a cautionary tale

paul kemp paulikemp@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:40:59 -0800 (PST)

--- tune4u@earthlink.net wrote:
> Hear, hear! (Or in England: Heah, heah) Bravo!
>
> Not everyone sees the tuner as a skilled
> artisan--partly because so many are
> not. Me, I think the guy who comes to fix our
> washing machine is a skilled
> artisan. And any honorable work is respectable,
> i.e., the worker should be
> respected. "The laborer is worthy of his hire." Etc.
>
> But small-minded people like to climb to the top of
> their nose and pretend
> other people are small. I'm no great fan of Eleanor
> Roosevelt, but I do
> greatly appreciate her famous statement: "Nobody can
> make you feel inferior
> without your permission."
> > Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO

Hello Alan, It's been my opinion that when I respect
what I do and value what I do then people other than
myself respect what I do and it's value. They pretty
much mirror my attitudes. And I'm talking here about
really respect and value deep down inside not pretend.

I recently raised my rates to probably one of the
highest in my area. When I felt uncomfortable in the
beginning about it, potential customers picked up on
that discomfort and felt uncomfortable. As I became
comfortable with my new rates my customers didn't
flinch with the increase. People who felt it was more
than they wanted to pay went elsewhere. Overall my
business grew and I liked it better and myself. It's
all perception. Yours, Paul