Cleaning up a laquer finish

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:07:15 -0800 (PST)

Silicone carbide sandpaper lubricated with water and a
little soap, or mineral spirits. Min spirits works
MUCH better, and does not carry the risk of loosening
veneer on old pianos with hide glue. Get sandpaper at
auto finish supply store, and LOTS of gloves, anda
couple of carbon filter masks so you don't dissolve
your brain. Little vinyl disposable gloves probably
cheapest. And geta  good bok on finishing to show you
how to rub out: across grain with 360 or 400 grit,
then diagonallyt, then circles, then with grain.
Following grits (I use up to 1000) are with grin to
remove previuous sxcratches, Then pumice, wax,
depending on sheen desired. Get a good book on
finishing.
     Thump
--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>