Baldwin Mystery

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:09:43 -0600

Thanks, will do.=20

It's definitely post-WWII but I'm not very good at guessing the vintage =
of grands. Uprights, to me, are easier because of the cabinet styles, =
sizes, etc.=20

And you can almost always find an upright's serial number. Wonder why =
there isn't a similar uniformity in placement of numbers on grands?=20

The piano in question was donated to the church in the mid-70's but it =
was not new then.

Thanks,

Alan
Salem
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PetersRPT@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Baldwin Mystery

  Alan.
  How old does it look?    If it is of  recent vintage, it could be a C. =
  The C , sold as a "classic" , was 5'7" or 5'8".   It would say Classic =
on the bottom right corner of the fallboard.  If it is older, it could =
be an E, H, or G.  I'm not sure of specifics, but know I have seen these =
models in that general size class.  Many Baldwins have a letter cast =
into the plate on the bass side of the tail.  You could look for that.

  Roy Peters
  Cincinnati, Ohio