Ships & Steinways

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:31:09 +0930

Hi list,

Yesterday I went on a cruiseship (MS Europa) to tune 3 Steinways. 2 B's =
and a M.

When I got there they asked me to tune one piano first and then the =
pianist would come down and check it before I tuned the other two. So =
OK, I don't mind, they don't know me, could have a fussy pianist on =
board.

The first B.  Scale reasonable, tenor OK, treble all over the place. Up =
to 30 cents flat on some notes and individual strings. Bass reasonable.

Tuned the piano and to be honest I have tuned Young Changs that sounded =
better. Not that Young Changs are a bad piano but these pianos are =
Steinways.

So an hour after I started the pianist (Russian) came down and played =
the piano. Now I have seen heavy hands but the keys are not supposed to =
bottom out on the floor. Says he loves it. Its OK to tune the other two. =
I asked when the pianos were last tuned and the answer was "In =
Singapore, two days ago"  I asked 'how old are these pianos' the reply =
"4 years old".  I was thinking sound like strings have been broken and =
replaced, would explain the 20 - 30 cents flat, but no. The piano still =
sounds yuck.

Tuned the other two that were in roughly the same condition then went =
back to the first one in the main concert room to go over the treble =
again but before I started I decided to check out the aliquot side of =
the strings. I was sure that I could hear something funny wilts tuning. =
Plucked three strings on the same note and got back three different =
notes.

Time for a quick fix. Got out my string stretcher and firmly pushed =
every string (aliquot side) and then had a piano that was up to 40 cents =
flat on some strings, all was uneven. Pulled it all up to pitch then =
tuned the treble again. The piano now started to sound like a Steinway.  =
The pianist returned as I was testing, sat down and played for 15 =
minutes and said could I do the same for the other pianos. Hell, I =
haven't finished that one properly yet. What do you do, the ship sails =
in two hours, on to the next piano tuner in ten days time.

What I can't understand is how a piano can get to 4 years old in a =
situation where it is played constantly and still not be stable in the =
above area. What have I missed.

No I did not do the other pianos or do more work on the main one, =
reason, they only want the pianos tuned and that's all they will pay =
for. Doing the extra was for my benefit. Still learning. But, I am =
annoyed that I can't do my job as I want to.

Regards

Tony Caught
Darwin Australia
caute@bigpond.com