newbie question: stocking strings

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:02:40 -0500

Charles,

I believe that it is important to stock all sizes of treble wire.
This is important for several reasons.  When replacing a treble
string, you absolutely must use the same size wire as the other
string (s) in that unison.  Unequal sizes will cause all sorts of
problems, mostly, it will sound bad.  Just as you have to level
strings so that a hammer strikes all strings simultaneously, uneven
strings will sound buzzy and have false beats.  I think it would be
worse to do a poor job of string replacement than it is to not
replace the string at all.  Even on poor pianos.  If you are going to
spend the time threading underneath bass strings, making the correct
tuning pin coil, and charging for your time, why not do the job
right?  A poor job will sound bad to the customer and future tuners
will have to deal with it as well.

If you order small amounts of wire, I don't think you will find the
cost too high.  If you have to spread the purchase over a couple of
orders, get the smaller sizes first.  You are more likely to have
higher strings break, on average.  You will also need to consider how
you will store the strings.  You can't just keep them in a bag in the
trunk.  They will start to rust almost immediately.

I keep my string stock at the shop.  I have a treble wire break
rarely enough that it is not a big deal to schedule a second trip.

Hope this helps,
Chris