Newbie Charles

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:48:16 -0500

I've been holding my tongue this far but I have got to let fly here.
I am really shocked at the tone some people have been taking with
this thread.  Here is an admitted "newbie" asking for advice and more
than a few people have just down right ridiculed the man.  With this
kind of treatment, he and every other person new to the trade are
going to be afraid of asking a question for fear of ridicule.

>Then again, I believe that piano skills are not something you should
>expect to learn from an internet mailing list. Real skills are
>taught person to person. Check out any of the PTG regionals, whose
>web sites have been announced here. Find your local PTG Chapter.
>Find a mentor. Start with a correspondence course if you have to.
>This is a serious business, not one to enter sideways.

I disagree in part.  I subscribe to this list BECAUSE it is a
valuable tool for learning.  There are a lot of sincere, generous
people here giving their support and experience to others.  Yes,
regionals, mentors, courses, etc. all are extremely valuable.  But
what is this list for if not to learn about our trade?  Who would
want to attend meetings and regionals when they are afraid of being
publicly demeaned?

Once again I really miss Newton.  I can't tell you how many times he
responded to one of my questions personally, always with helpful
support, never ridicule.  I Aspire to be more like that.

Respectfully,
Chris

--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.