[Somewhat OT] Wars & Pianos, was Perception

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:07:22 -0600

----- Original Message -----=20
Pre 1939, to me, means before WWll.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

I don't know if anyone was making pianos between 1939 and 1945. I've =
always just said pre- and post-war pianos. Maybe enough history has =
happened since 1945 that we need to be more specific so people aren't =
confused. Did I just confuse everyone?

The principal cause of WWII was WWI. Things were poorly--if at =
all--resolved after WWI and the crushing, demoralizing, and =
destabilizing burdens that were laid on Germany created the perfect =
nurturing ground for the nutty Nazi and his ilk. The lesson was learned, =
I guess, because WWII was followed up with much more sensitivity, =
generosity--whatever you want to call it--in the Marshall Plan, etc. =
Modern free Germany & Japan are a tribute to the foresight of Truman, =
Ike, Churchill, MacArthur, etc.

On the other hand, were the burning, underlying causes of ALL the =
trouble resolved? Nope. WWI started with an assassination in Sarajevo =
and the instant Tito's "lid" on that region was lifted they fell into =
the old Pre-WWI tribal conflicts that have been raging for centuries.

Sigh.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. I don't know why I wrote all that--current troubles on my mind I =
guess. War is sure a terrible option but unilateral pacifism and =
appeasement never work, either; they just seem to delay the war and make =
it bigger.

P.P.S. There was one terrifically good consequence of WWII for piano =
tuners, however: All birdcage production was halted, forever. Amen

P.P.P.S. Did y'all hear Paul Harvey's "The Rest of The Story" about the =
life of Franz Mohr? It was well done, very interesting, and a tribute to =
a great member of the profession.