Two Capstans again

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:29:09 +0100

Ron Overs wrote:

> At 9:33 PM +0100 16/1/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>
> >. . . I dont really know what to think about the ratio in this as it would
> >change through the key stroke.
>
> As does a normal grand piano action, ie. one with one capstan, but to
> a lesser extent.
> Ron O.
> --

Yes, but wouldnt this be much more noticeable ? Another thing while I have your
ear Ron... In taking up and down weight measurements, it's almost always
apparent that the lower half of the hammer travel needs more weight for DW (and
less for UW) then the upper half. But with the increased ratio spread resulting
from a concave capstan  (or some such idea) wouldnt this tendency be kind of
reversed... or evened out at least ?

The hammer at the rest position would then see a key leverage that was reduced
by the diameter of the capstan compared to the the hammer at drop... so it
would take less weight to get the darn thing moving upwards, and more to finish
pushing it though the stroke.

Course you dont need so much leverage to handle things after the jack releases.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.