Newbie Question - Strings

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 19:42:55 -0500 (EST)

> From: Bill Ballard <yardbird@vermontel.net>
>
> I didn't do my homework, and assumed that you were someone who just
> got a tuning hammer for Christmas. Boy was I wrong. I apologize,
> Charles.

Apology accepted.

Now back to strings: Same question, but with more info: Schaff's string
kit contains sizes 13-17 including half sizes, and 18-20 in whole sizes.
I will also get 12 and 12 1/2, based on some people's recommendations. But
the question is: Why would they have only whole sizes for the larger
strings in their string kit?

That leads me to believe that if you're using the larger sizes for
splicing bass strings, you might be OK with the nearest whole size. Is
that so? Or that you rarely use 18 1/2 and 19 1/2.

One motivation for my question is that Randy Potter, in his course,
advises his students not to buy stuff until you need it. However, with
stringing, it seems that either you can offer that service or you can't. I
imagine if you say to a customer, "I'll come back in a week with a string"
then you've lost the job, or at least made yourself look bad. So I'm
trying to determine what I would need, without buying too much stuff.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc.