Action Ratio, was: More off the wall stuff

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:41:46 +0100

Hi Terry.

I think that if we are talking about the leverage ratio of the Piano action... then its effects on weight, distance, and speed for  input and output are exactly the same.

Take a simple 2:1 ratio lever.  5 grams of input will lift 10 grams. 10 mm movement of input will yeild 5 mm movement output. What speed of movement is found at the input is 2 times that found at the output. Its 2:1 regardless... and hey... thats the law of levers for you.

So whatever you use as a method to measure this action ratio of ours... it has to have this consistancy. You have to be able to see that your resulting ratio corresponds with what the lever actually does. You cant just measure a lever in some fashion that doesnt correspond to what it lifts. If your measurements tell you its 2:1 and you find it actually lifts a 2.3 to 1 ratio... then your measurements are either wrong or you are measureing something other then the levers ratio.

So this discussion really is more about what constitutes the action ratio. It seems clear to me that the "load" our leverage system is lifting is the hammer itself. Not what could be lifted from the tip of the hammer. So Stanwoods Balance equation has to give the correct result as it is really nothing more then another way (which includes some of the weight parameters) of writing the product of the ratio of the three levers. WR * HSR * KR = R

So... to answer your question straight out... of course your method will yeild the correct ratio too... assuming you can measure acurately enough. And you should be able to contrive a pretty decent jig for this. Comparing that to what you get from Stanwoods weight method, and the corresponding direct measurements of the lengths of the arms of the individual levers... and between the three you can come up with a very dependable figure.

[Image]

Think about it :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.
UiB, Bergen, Norway
mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no

--------------37C803FEACC4232723B2E65F
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------37C803FEACC4232723B2E65F
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail13.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 9859 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------37C803FEACC4232723B2E65F--