about the openness of minds

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:46:04 +0100

On zondag, jan 19, 2003, at 14:11 Europe/Amsterdam, Richard Brekne
wrote:

> List
>
> I was under the impression that grown up humans could take a simple
> joke
> and leave it at that, or at the very least air any beef one has with a
> private person in private.
>
> I suppose I should have not posted that last Joke. Not so much because
> it was or wasnt humorous to whom ever, but because obviously too many
> simply cant handle a joke.
>
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> UiB, Bergen, Norway
> mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no

Ricardo mio,

Tolerance goes hand in hand with an open mind and a developed
conscience.
If the curtains of one's  mind are only partially open, than the view
is restricted.
We can not blame a person who 'se curtains obstruct the view to 'the
outside' but we should take their state of mind into consideration when
we address them.
One of the problems of communication between us is that we are all in a
different state of development, comparable with a train with many cars.
We all belong temporarily to a certain train car, and if our conscience
changes for the better we move on.
In our development we should never be negative about the past, as the
experiences of the past were absolutely necessary to form our present
state of mind.
In stead, we all must try to become aware that there are many people in
all sorts of personal development and that we are all on the same
train, but temporarily in different cars.

On this list we find of course the same variety of minds. You and I
understand each other because we are in the same train car so to speak,
so I take no offense at all in regard to your sense of humor (on the
contrary.. heheheh...), but others think differently and feel
insulted...and there we go for the umpteenth time!
It shows again that certain issues should, apparently, be avoided here.
I have had the very same experience on the Dutch e-mail forum : I like
jokes and sometimes I get sort of 'jelly' and maybe go a little too
far....
And then, after some time, a nasty small bomb hit me because one of the
members wrote an e-mail letter, for all to read, in which he proposed a
"forum police" to keep 'law and order'.
It was then more than crystal clear to me that I had to change my
behavior (on that forum), which I did..I try to not be 'jelly' and will
never make anymore jokes (and it is - extremely - quiet there now).

So...strictly business so to speak, because any 'funny deviation' will
be punished instantly, by some.

It is disappointing, i understand, but tolerance is the key word for
all of us.

friendly greetings from

Antares,
The netherlands